Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ichiban!!!!

I dedicate my first blog to the word 'first', and my fondest memory of the word. Many a doyobi (saturday) ago, around 10:30 am, I was teaching my least favorite class as a Practical English Teacher in Yonago, Japan. I had a class of 3 misbehaved, 5 year-old boys who always managed to sap me of all my energy before noon. The troublemakers in question were Yuta, Yuichi and Hikaru. Yuta was the smartest, and therefore the biggest wiseass of the crew. Hikaru was shy and short. He was a nice kid when not growing distracted and causing mini-classroom riots. He had this sorta cute sorta hilarious squeal of delight that he'd frequently give off when a popular game was played or something made him happy. And Yuichi...Yuichi had black teeth. I kid you not. When I recall Yuichi, I immediately think of a Dentist being punished. He also had a raspy voice for a 5 year old. I think the probable cause for both his teeth and voice was a stint of binge smoking while watching Pokemon. Alright...I apologize for being mean. These were cute kids, who just required a lot of patience. So the story goes, that on one fine Saturday morning, we were all playing a game of Race to the Board and say the English Phrase (It was more fun than it sounds). Yuta came in first place and turned to the others, pointer finger raised high, and announced "ICHIBAN" (I'm first/I'm Number 1). Yuichi and Hikaru looked on in contempt. IT was ON. Yuichi won the next race and, finger held high, shouted "ICHIBAN" in Yuta's face. Before I knew it, a scuffle had unfolded before me and I had to break it up. And that's my story. Yeah, sorta anti-climactic. But when I wake up now, on Saturday mornings, and walk to the bathroom mirror, I can smile to myself knowing that I'm not breaking up fights between 5 year-old Japanese children. With a sleepy grin, I think to myself "Ichiban" as I begin to brush my teeth and start the shower...

No comments:

Post a Comment